This is my favourite pre-race breaksfast recipe, from the fabulous Beverley Gibbs at Sense of Nutrition.
This really easy porridge is assembled the night before and kept in the fridge for an instant breakfast the next day.
Chia seeds can soak up 9-10 times their weight in water overnight, which in turn keeps you full longer. They contain a staggering amount of nutrients for their size, bringing you more omega-3s than a piece of salmon, and plenty of calcium, iron, and fibre.
Pomegranate seeds will give you an extra boost of antioxidants and almonds are a great source of calcium.
- 50g rolled oats
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 250ml almond or soya milk
- 2 organic apples
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 250g plain Greek yoghurt
- 50g fresh pomegranate seeds (optional)
- 4 tbsp slivered almonds, toasted (optional)
- In a medium bowl, combine oats, chia seeds and milk.
- Peel and grate the apples.
- Add lemon juice and the nectar/honey and mix well.
- Add Greek yoghurt and apples to the oat mixture.
- Mix well and refrigerate overnight.
- Before serving, top with pomegranate seeds and almonds.
- Another alternative would be fresh blueberries or chopped mango and toasted pumpkin seeds.